We love custom fonts!
At SkabelonDesign, we are proud to have always gone the extra mile to get even the most complex brands and designs implemented in Microsoft Office. We have chosen to be positive around custom fonts, because - let's be honest – designs are superior with beautiful fonts applied!
Common issues with fonts in MS Office
Even when dealing with system fonts you can run into some rather serious issues in Microsoft Office.
- Will the font display correctly in the PDFs we establish?
- Does it cost us more to send digital letters due to font weight?
- Is the font really available on everyone's computers?
- And what about our Mac users?
When we look at custom fonts, there is further complexity in sight. Many consider it a simple matter to enable embedding in settings – and done. Unfortunately, there is more to it than that. And the sooner we recognize it, the sooner we can mitigate or resolve the issues that can later cost many hours.
There are a number of pitfalls you should be aware of, being the responsible for the implementation in Microsoft Office – here is a few of them:
- Is the font embeddable at all?
- Do we have other fonts in play in the organization?
- What about Mac users?
- Does the font and the weights chosen coincide with the design we want to achieve? For example, if you are not allowed to use italics, then we can define this with the agency that has developed the font and get everything adjusted so that users cannot go wrong.
Reach out to us!
In general, we need to have direct dialogue with the design / font agency. Through dialogue we can get the small adjustments in place before we get too far in on the implementation.
We find that there are huge differences in fonts. Some fonts require a few hours to implement - incl. counselling for you, as a customer, as well as your agency partners.
Other fonts cause us problems that cannot be predicted – and we can end up spending hours on end.
Thus, we always advise that projects are not rushed through with the implementation of fonts that have not previously proven their functionality in Microsoft Office.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us, if you are in doubt at [email protected]. We are ready to talk with you on how to implement your preferred fonts.